Special Events Coordinator
Distinguishing Features of the Class
Under general direction of the Assistant City Manager or designee, facilitates and performs responsible work as assigned. Responsibilities include overseeing and coordinating City participation in community and special events; management of the street use team and processes, serves as a liaison for community partners, businesses, and internal stakeholders, and develops and maintains event sponsorships.
The City of Des Moines promotes a healthy work life balance and offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Residency Incentive Program
- Alternative Work Schedule Options
- Paid Volunteer Time-Off
- Parental Leave
- Vacation and Sick Leave
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Health/Dental/Life/LTD Insurance
- Wellness Programs and Activities
- Tuition Reimbursement and Continuing Education Programs
- Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Benefit
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan through IPERS
- Deferred Compensation Plan with City Match up to 2.5%
- Voluntary Insurance Benefit Options
- Employee Discount Program
Acceptable Experience and Training
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in communications, marketing, public relations, advertising or related field; and
- Two years of professional experience in promotions, marketing, communication, event management, or public relations preferably including experience in coordinating a major special event; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform the work.
- A Master's Degree in communications, marketing or related field may be substituted for one year of experience.
NOTE: Educational Transcripts must be attached to your online application or submitted separately to and received by the City of Des Moines Human Resources Department by the application deadline date to receive credit. Transcripts may be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org , by fax to 515-237-1680, or by mail to 1551 E MLK Jr Pkwy, Des Moines, IA 50317 .
Required Special Qualifications
- Candidates for positions in this class must pass a post-employment offer physical examination and drug screen.
- Ability to pass a background check.
- Possession of a valid Iowa driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Executes and oversees all City special events.
- Directs, supervises, manages and evaluates special event process for the City of Des Moines.
- Supervises, leads and coordinates street use team and events within the City of Des Moines.
- Reviews and evaluates all street use and special event applications.
- Prepares and submits recommendations, controls expenditures, and performs other financial monitoring/accounting as required.
- Supervises and manages the collection of fees for activities as necessary, maintains thorough and accurate records of participants and related materials.
- Manages and supervises special event organizers to ensure all requirements of the application and City ordinance are met.
- Acts as liaison and manages effective communication between street use team members, internal/external stakeholders, event organizers, and the public.
- Provides needed information and documentation concerning special events with the City.
- Proactively addresses and successfully resolves issues that arise regarding special events.
- Coordinates and communicates with other government entities when events cross corporate boundaries.
- Assists outside stakeholders with the bidding and planning of special events.
- Serves as the community liaison for special events within the City and works effectively and cooperatively with partner organizations.
- Works closely with the Communications office to make sure the events are being communicated to stakeholders, residents, impacted businesses.
- Continually seeks best practices and process improvements within the City by making recommendation for amendment to City ordinances that impact special events.
- Plans and implements public relations and promotional programs to increase attendance at public facilities and City-sponsored activities.
- Coordinates with community groups on a variety of community and area-wide special events designed to enhance the City's image, attract tourism and provide recreational enjoyment or entertainment.
- Coordinates volunteer activities.
- Makes presentations to civic groups and business organizations.
- Performs related work as required.
Closing Date/Time: 9/18/2023 4:00 PM Central