Senior Business Analyst
Distinguishing Features of the Class
The Senior Business Analyst, under general supervision, leads and works along with employees engaged in managing the development and implementation of vendor contracts, analyzing business processes of City departments, and developing improvements to those processes through the effective use of technology. This individual will perform as a team member along with the IT Department's other Business Analysts. The work is performed under the direct supervision of the Deputy Chief Information Officer or designee. The individual will be required to lead the team in many aspects of a project and must have the leadership, facilitation, and negotiation skills to perform effectively. As part of the Information Technology Department, Business Analysts, including Senior Business Analyst, collaborate with City departments to understand business needs, keep current on technology and perform regular research to learn how other organizations are successfully meeting similar needs. Each Business Analyst serves as a department liaison to their assigned City departments and assists departments in developing a technology portfolio and obtaining vendor support to meet their business needs.
Acceptable Experience and Training
- Graduation from an accredited program of study with a degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Project Management, Customer Service Leadership or related field, and
- Considerable experience in project management, and
- Considerable experience in business process analysis, or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge skills and abilities necessary to perform the work may be substituted for specific requirements.
- At least two years of experience providing project management and business process analysis for the City of Des Moines.
- Project Management Professional certification desired.
Required Special Qualifications
- Candidates for positions in this class must pass a post-employment offer physical examination and drug screen.
- Possession of a valid Iowa driver's license or evidence of equivalent mobility.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Organizes and directs Business Analyst assignments, communications, and special projects.
- Analyzes business processes throughout City departments, recommends approaches to improve those processes through effective use of technology, and implements projects that achieve those improvements.
- Assist in the development of business cases.
- Act as an IT Department liaison to assigned City departments. Proactively communicate and collaborate with stakeholders to analyze information needs and functional requirements
- Assists departments in selecting, procuring, and implementing Commercial-Off-The-Shelf software solutions (COTS) and technology vendor services.
- Provides information about technical support operations to any inquiring party.
- Assists with developing, recommending, and monitoring project level budgets. Manages multiple projects and resource demands simultaneously.
- Ensure projects are delivered on time, to requirements, and within resource constraints
- Consults with user departments in assessing IT needs and renders advice about solutions, which would best meet the needs of the department.
- Lead and assist stakeholders in the selection of vendors and business processes.
- Manage end-to-end projects and tasks within projects. Use project management tools to provide predictable results and visibility to stakeholders
- Maintains thorough and accurate records of all activities.
- Assists with vendor management including preparing of RFI, RFPs, contract performance, and internal communications. Assists with the training of staff, developing materials and acting as a trainer.
- Provides infrequent night and weekend support as scheduled for major upgrades.
- Provides project status reports on a regular basis for assigned projects.
- Keeps the supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed of work progress, including identification of potential problems and suggestions for new approaches for solving recurring issues.
- Participates in continuing education opportunities, attends seminars and conferences to remain current on this assignment area.
- Responds to comments and requests for assistance from end-users in a courteous and friendly manner.
- Performs other directly related duties consistent with the role and function of the job class.
Closing Date/Time: 11/28/2022 4:00 PM Central