Seasonal Recreation Specialist – Fall/Winter Camp
Distinguishing Features of the Class
Under direction, supervises and directs a specialized area within the total
City's recreation program, or a specialized type of recreation activity, and performs related work as required.
Approximate employment duration : Up to 40 hours per week.
- September through December
Deadline : Applications are accepted until such time a sufficient number of qualified applications is received to fill the positions.
Note : Hiring preference is given to applicants who held the position with the City of Des Moines during last summer's employment season.
Acceptable Experience and Training
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED;
- Must be 18 years of age.
Required Special Qualifications
- Current certification in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation and First Aid.
- Requires satisfactory criminal, sex offender and if applicable driving record background checks.
- Passing a pre-employment physical and drug screen is required prior to employment.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Leads assigned activities and supervises others in leading activities;
- Trains staff in leadership techniques, methods of activity planning, safety and public relations;
- Works closely with other recreation staff to assure the proper development of assigned activities.;
- Organizes and supervises one or more activities such as summer playground programs, aquatics programs, day camps, trips, arts and cultural activities, nature activities, sports and games, special population, senior activities or special events;
- Recruits and trains staff and volunteers to assist with program implementation, lead programs and ensure safety of participants;
- Tracks participation statistics;
- Maintains necessary records and submits required reports.
Closing Date/Time: 10/6/2023 4:00 PM Central