Recreation Intern – Athletics
Distinguishing Features of the Class
The City of Des Moines is seeking highly motivated, energetic Recreation or Sports Management students looking to complete an internship with the City's Parks and Recreation Department. Des Moines is an ever changing and evolving community of over 217,000 people. As the capital of Iowa, it is at the center of progress and leadership in the state. Located in Central Iowa, Des Moines is easily accessible and within just a few hours of almost any other city in the state. Des Moines Park and Recreation is a National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) Gold Medal Recipient with a wide range of programs and services that are sure to include something for all aspiring recreation professionals.
Approximate employment duration : 15 - 37 hours per week. Assigned varied work hours between 12:00pm-8:00pm including some weekends and holidays from August through December.
Deadline : Applications are accepted until such time a sufficient number of qualified applications is received to fill the position.
Acceptable Experience and Training
- Graduation from high school and working toward a bachelor's or graduate degree with a minimum overall GPA of 2.5; and
- Have an interest in recreation or sports in general and a willingness to learn the broader scope of services provided by city programs; and
- Preference will be given to current students of Parks & Recreation, Sports Management or a related field.
NOTE: Transcripts verifying courses completed and GPA need to be submitted to the City of Des Moines Human Resources Department; electronically to email@example.com , by fax to 515-237-1680, or by mail to 1551 E MLK Jr Pkwy, Des Moines, IA 50317 at the time of application.
Required Special Qualifications
- Candidates for positions in this class must pass a post-employment offer physical examination and drug screen;
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license.
- NOTE: If possess an out-of-state Driver's License, submittal of certified driving records is required. All records should be submitted to the City of Des Moines Human Resources Department; electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org , by fax to 515-237-1680, or by mail to 1551 E MLK Jr Pkwy, Des Moines, IA 50317 at the time of application.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Works closely with professional staff on special projects, including but not limited to: project management, tournament, league, and event management, staff/program scheduling, program evaluations, and goal setting;
- Implementation or creation of a concept of one new program as part of seasonal offerings;
- On site monitoring of youth and adult programming serving as point of contact for customers
Goals for the Internship:
- Connecting students who exhibit passion for recreation and sports programming with an opportunity to enhance the operation of our department.
- Provide a creative opportunity for contributions to the current season and future planning.
- Develop students with recreation and sports interests who ultimately feel more connected to all areas of recreation and sports programming.
- Apply strategies to integrate students into the organization to allow for maximum inclusion and productivity.
- Ensure the development of students for the continued future growth and quality of the recreation workforce.
Closing Date/Time: 10/6/2023 4:00 PM Central