Distinguishing Features of the Class
The City of Des Moines is seeking applicants interested in a career as a Police Officer with the Des Moines Police Department. If you are at least 21 years of age (by April 2, 2024), a problem solver who wants to work with people from all cultures, races and economic backgrounds, and have good moral character and integrity, we welcome your application.
SPECIAL NOTE: This recruitment requires the review and completion of the 2023/2024 Police Officer Recruitment Packet .
Summary of Benefits
For additional information and resources, visit the Police Department recruitment page at dsm.city/joinDMPD .
Your application must be submitted online by 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, December 19, 2023. All items listed below must be attached to your online application or submitted separately to and received by Human Resources no later than 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, January 2, 2024.
- Photocopy of driver's license
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (such as a photocopy of one of the following: U.S. Birth Certificate from state or county, U.S. Passport, Certificate of Citizenship, or Naturalization Certificate)
- Police Officer Physical Conditioning Waiver
- Authority for Release of Information (Must be notarized)
- Statement Concerning Your Employment in a Job Not Covered by Social Security
- High school diploma (or other proof of high school graduation) or G.E.D. and College transcripts, if any
- References - names and contact information of 3 personal and 3 professional references
- DD214 Form for military service, if any (If you are unable to submit your DD214 by Tuesday, January 2, 2024, please contact the City's Human Resources Department with expectation of when it will be available)
**All of the above documents must be legible.**
REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION MAY BE EMAILED, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED OR MAILED TO HUMAN RESOURCES.
FAX: (515) 237-1680
HAND DELIVERED OR MAILED
City of Des Moines
Attn: Human Resources Dept.
1551 E Martin Luther King Jr Pkwy
Des Moines, IA 50317
Acceptable Experience and Training
Graduation from high school or G.E.D.
Required Special Qualifications
Possess and maintain a valid motor vehicle operator's license issued by the State of Iowa. Twenty-one years of age on or before April 2, 2024. Citizen of the United States by the application deadline date. No felony convictions or convictions for crimes involving moral turpitude. Free of drug or alcohol addiction. Must meet minimum requirements to be a law enforcement officer consistent with Iowa Code chapter 80(B) and its administrative rules.
All appointments will be conditional upon the passage of medical, physical fitness, and psychological exams required by the State of Iowa. The medical exam includes a screening for drug use.
Use the links below for Police Officer Applicant Testing Resources:
2023/2024 Police Officer Recruitment Packet
Cooper Test Instructional Video
Cooper Assessment Preparation Guide (physical fitness test)
POST Study Guide (written exam)
Notice to Police Officer Applicants:
- City of Des Moines, Iowa residents will have five (5) residency points added to their final passing score. In order to receive 5 residency points, applicants must have established permanent City of Des Moines, Iowa residency. To verify City of Des Moines, Iowa residency, applicants must present two documents that show their current name, current Des Moines, Iowa residential address, and are dated between the first date of the job announcement (November 7, 2023) and the first date of the oral exams (January 23, 2024). The address must be a physical address where the applicant resides and not a post office box. Printouts of services paid or transacted electronically are acceptable. Applicants must select two documents from the list below and provide to the City's Human Resources Department by their scheduled oral exam.
- Valid Iowa vehicle registration certificate
- Valid insurance card or certificate of coverage (life, health, auto, homeowner's or renter's)
- Second valid insurance card or certificate of coverage (different than the first)
- Utility hookup or bill (water, gas, electric, or garbage removal)
- Second utility hookup or bill (different than the first)
- Telephone hookup, service agreement or bill (landline or mobile)
- Statement from a financial institution (bank, credit union, or other financial institution)
- Second statement from a financial institution (different than the first)
- Credit, debit, or charge card statement
- Iowa residential mortgage, lease or rental agreement (lease and rental agreements must include the landlord's name and contact information)
- Valid real estate tax statement or receipt for Iowa residential property
- Pay stub from employer
- Current school enrollment papers for an educational institution
- A federal, State of Iowa or local government document (such as receipt, license, permit, assessment, or other document)
- Second federal, State of Iowa or local government document (different than the first)
- An envelope, box, postcard or magazine that includes a postmark or stamped date
- Iowa DL issued in the time period noted above
Honorably discharged veterans will have five (5) points added to their final passing score. In order to receive 5 veteran's preference points, submission of the Member 4 Copy of the DD-214 is required.Honorably discharged veterans who have service-connected disabilities or receive compensation, disability benefits or pension under laws administered by the Veterans Administration, will have an additional five (5) points added to their final passing score. An eligible veteran who has been awarded the Purple Heart for disabilities incurred in action shall be considered to have a service-connected disability. In order to receive 5 additional points, proof of service-connected disability, compensation, disability benefits, pension or Purple Heart is required.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
For a complete job description including examples of essential work, click here .Closing Date/Time: 12/19/2023 4:00 PM Central