Distinguishing Features of the Class
Under supervision, assists in a variety of line and staff functions in a para-investigator capacity. Performs related administrative work involving independent judgment and other related work as required.
Acceptable Experience and Training
- Graduation from high school, supplemented by courses in typing or use of data input devices, and
- Two years of clerical and public contact work, or
- Any equivalent combination in which education and experience are interchangeable at the rate of one year of education for one year of experience.
Please submit to the City of Des Moines Human Resources Department; electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to 515-237-1680, or by mail to 1551 E MLK Jr Pkwy, Des Moines, IA 50319 by the application deadline date.
Required Special Qualifications
Candidates for positions in this class must pass a background investigation and post-employment offer polygraph exam, physical exam and drug screen.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Performs follow-up investigation by phone as assigned.
- Assists police investigators with case investigations as directed; obtains statements, documents and related materials; researches official records.
- Prepares case supplemental reports.
- Performs office and clerical functions; such as maintaining files, typing, answering the telephone, and taking messages.
- Prepares reports and correspondence in conformance with department policy.
- Prepares IOWA and NCIC information network entries and cancellations.
- Maintains victim, suspect, M.O., stolen property, intelligence, and other criminal information files.
- Receives and reports criminal information.
- Communicates with public and private persons and agencies.
- Performs related duties as required.
Closing Date/Time: 12/4/2023 4:00 PM Central