Digital Records Specialist
Distinguishing Features of the Class
This position will provide advanced administrative assistance in the preparation and administration of record requests for the Des Moines Police Department, to include gathering digital police records, collecting fees, and responding to public records requests in a prompt and timely manner. A primary function of this position is to gather digital evidence for prosecuting attorneys for state, federal and local agencies.
Acceptable Experience and Training
- Graduation from High School or possession of a GED; and
- At least 2 years of experience in office administration and customer service operations; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the work; and
- Must obtain National Crime Information Center (NCIC) certification during first year of employment and maintain throughout appointment to this position, including passing the Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) background check.
Please submit to the City of Des Moines Human Resources Department; electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to 515-237-1680, or by mail to 1551 E MLK Jr Pkwy, Des Moines, IA 50319 by the application deadline date.
Required Special Qualifications
- Candidates for positions in this class must pass a post-employment offer background check, physical examination, and drug screen.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
- Provides timely and accurate responses to requests for information pursuant to the Iowa Open Records Act and related City policies.
- Answers telephone calls and provides information to the callers or refers to other appropriate departments or City personnel.
- Receives payment for designated items, processes deposits and delivers to the Treasury Office at City Hall.
- Responds to citizens' questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner.
- Dispatches information to key departmental personnel as necessary.
- Prepares correspondence, lists and other documents.
- Logs all open records requests.
- Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems.
- Attends meetings, conferences, workshops and training sessions and reviews publications and audio-visual materials to become and remain current on the principles, practices, and new developments in assigned work areas.
- Performs other related duties consistent with the role and function of the classification.
Closing Date/Time: 12/4/2023 4:00 PM Central